Friday, January 1, 2010

Peanut Butter Jewly

Bessie is a diplomat. Rarely have I known her to make an absolute refusal. Instead, she will give suggestions for a more favorable outcome. She is also what our family calls a 'carbohydrate girl'. She will eat vast quantities of crackers or biscuits.... or peanut butter jewly sandwiches (that is what she used to call them).


One day I am over at Bessie's house, helping out after the birth of her little sister. For supper, Carrie asks me to fix a pan of liver. Now I, personally, am not overly fond of liver, and I was even less fond of it when I was Bessie's age. So, I can surmise what Bessie is thinking when I pull the pan of liver out of the oven and set it on the table. But Bessie has learned that one does not get ahead by complaining. Instead, she sweetly suggests, "we could have peanut butter jewly."

No comments:

Post a Comment